Tuesday 27 August 2013

Agressive Pet

For the past few months, I have been observing that one of my lovebirds has turned really agressive and she started biting whenever you would come close to her and try to touch her or her cage. At first I thought to myself she is just being territorial and that is what animals are like. A few times that bird bit my mum and other family members to the point where they started having internal bleeds and I still thought to myself that that behaviour is just acceptable because this is nature and this is how animals behave. They can't speak like humans do so obviously they just bite you whenever they want. A couple days ago, the lovebird, munchkin, bit my mum again really hard. My mum was just feeding the other 2 birds who had landed on her lap and munchkin flew directly to her and bit her on the legs. She was so furious and the way we are used to correcting the behaviour of the animal is by spraying them with water. Unfortunately, this time, the bird ended up getting a bit too much water and she was still for a few minutes. We all were shocked and thought that this was it. Thank god, she survived. For the past 2 days I have been really looking at this picture and what is best for all in this situation. I have in the past been faced with this situation but always ended up not doing anything about it for some reasons: 1. I don't like the idea of separating a mum from her baby 2. I feel so bonded to her as she is my pet and I don't want to give her away because then I will miss her 3. I fear that she will end up in the hands of people who will only hurt her more 4. I had hope that she would just change with time if we all send her love energy 5. I don't want to abandon my responsibility of just handing her away to someone when I feel that I should be the one taking care of her. I don't want to promote this lazy behaviour in me. The point that I came to realize is that by keeping the bird at my house, I am only promoting more abuse because I am not putting my family in an abusive situation but also munchkin herself. I had never realized that before. All the time I was so engulfed in my own ways of thinking based on my own self interest and as a consequent ended up abusing my own mum a few times by not correcting the situation and allowing time and hope to do their job. I forgive myself for allowing myself to fear the idea of separating a mum from her baby, by putting myself in their shoes and feeling bad for a mum losing her child. I realize that this way of thought has only spread more abuse in the world by putting both people and animal in an abusive relationship. I forgive myself for allowing myself to experience this feeling of lack and loss because I will miss her. I realize that this feeling is another way to trap me into a selfish way of thinking where I no longer consider other aspects of the point but just allow decisions to be made from a starting point of what is in my interest as opposed to what is best for everyone I forgive myself for allowing myself to fear that if I give her away that she will end up in the hands of people who are only going to use her to feed their snakes and other reptiles. I realize that this fear is something I can't have any control over as I can only control me and not others. I forgive myself for allowing myself to hope that someday she will be back to normal again and that we will all live happily ever after, not realizing that this is just not being practical and understanding in the sense that I am in the meantime fuelling more abuse because the more she stays in this environment the more abuse everyone gets. I forgive myself for allowing myself to feel that by giving her away to someone that I am just taking the easy way out and just telling someone : here you deal with this shit because I am DONE. I realize that taking responsibility sometimes just means that we have to look at a situation from everyone's perspective and not just our perspective where we end up compromising our own life because of going to the extreme of wanting to make a situation right. I have come to the realization that what is best for all in this case is to find another home for my bird to stay at. I am taking responsibility right now to ensure this happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment